Botulinum toxin injection Experiences by Dr Amy Wee

Botulinum toxin injection is getting more popular and more easily accepted by general population nowadays. However still have some people are worried about getting botulinum toxin injection on their face due to some misconceptions they have.

I aware about this during a gathering with old friends recently. My friend compliment I look younger, happier and more fresh looking now. She also noticed my face was lifted and more oval shape now, not as round as before. I noticed she has wrinkles around the eye ( crows feet ), and suggested her to get botulinum toxin injection which can soften the wrinkles and make her look younger.

She was not keen for it, because she was worried the “ plastic look” she might get after botox injection. She does not want others to notice a dramatic changes on her and commented her has aesthetic procedure done on her.

After listening to her concerns, I revealed the secret of how I get younger look now, which was I had  botulinum toxin injection two months ago. She was surprised , as my look was so natural and definitely not have “plastic look”. I explained to her that botulinum toxin is not used to keep us from making facial grimaces and frowns that have become habits and are unintended. Botulinum toxin does not actually erase lines but relaxes them, which mean deeper lines will become somewhat less deep and superficial lines will nearly disappear. When done correctly, most people who are not trained in aesthetic will not notice that a BTA procedure has been performed but you will look more rested or happier.


My friend felt more ease after listening to my explanation about injection of botulinum toxin. However she still has another concern , which was she may need to get botulinum toxin injection on regular basis, if not her wrinkles will get worse. The effect from botulinum toxin will last four to six months. As muscle action gradually returns, the lines and wrinkles begin to reappear and need to be treated again. The lines and wrinkles often appear less severe with time because the muscles are being trained to relax.



Sharing by Dr Amy Wee